Nestled in the heart of Brazil’s Mato Grosso do Sul state lies a natural wonderland known as Bonito. This charming town is surrounded by lush forests, crystal-clear rivers, and an abundance of wildlife, making it a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. In this post, we’ll explore the top places to visit, how to get there, top hotels, and must-see attractions in Bonito.
Top Places to Visit:
- Rio da Prata – This river is famous for its crystal-clear waters and abundant aquatic life, making it one of the best places for snorkeling and scuba diving in Brazil.
- Gruta do Lago Azul – A stunning limestone cave with a beautiful blue lake at its center, the Gruta do Lago Azul is a must-visit attraction in Bonito.
- Boca da Onça Waterfall – At 156 meters, this is the highest waterfall in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, offering breathtaking views and hiking opportunities.
- Abismo Anhumas – A natural abyss that descends 72 meters below ground level, Abismo Anhumas is an ideal location for rappelling, snorkeling, and scuba diving.
- Balneário Municipal – This natural swimming pool is fed by the Bonito River and surrounded by lush vegetation, providing a refreshing and tranquil escape.
How to Get There: Bonito is located approximately 300 kilometers from Campo Grande, the capital of Mato Grosso do Sul. Visitors can fly into Campo Grande International Airport and then take a bus or hire a car for the journey to Bonito. Alternatively, there are direct flights from some Brazilian cities to Bonito Airport.
- Zagaia Eco Resort – A luxurious resort that offers a range of activities, including horseback riding, hiking, and zip-lining.
- Wetiga Hotel – A charming hotel with a swimming pool and beautiful gardens, located in the heart of Bonito.
- Pousada Surucuá – A cozy and intimate guesthouse surrounded by lush forests, perfect for nature lovers.
- Snorkeling in Rio da Prata – Experience the crystal-clear waters and vibrant aquatic life of one of Brazil’s most stunning rivers.
- Caving in Gruta do Lago Azul – Descend into a mesmerizing cave to see a beautiful blue lake.
- Rafting in Rio Formoso – Navigate the rapids of this scenic river for an adrenaline-filled adventure.
- Trekking in Serra da Bodoquena – Explore the rugged landscape of the Serra da Bodoquena mountain range on foot.
- Birdwatching in Pantanal – Just a few hours’ drive from Bonito, Pantanal is one of the best places in Brazil to observe a diverse array of bird species.
Conclusion: Bonito is a truly unique destination that offers visitors an opportunity to immerse themselves in the beauty of Brazil’s natural world. With its crystal-clear waters, limestone caves, and abundance of wildlife, Bonito is a must-visit location for any nature lover or adventure seeker. Use our guide to plan your trip, and don’t forget to experience all that this enchanting destination has to offer.
To learn more about the Pantanal and plan your adventure, click here
- Gallery Item